Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Of Elephants, Thanksgiving, and Gloves

I once heard that if you lose one too many toes you can't stand straight anymore.

Great opening, innit? But seriously though, I heard that once. "But Nici, why the hell are you telling us (all one of us) this?" you might be asking yourself. I share this with you because my toes had turned into tiny blocks of ice earlier and I worried for a moment that they might fall off. *wiggles toes* but they're all still here so I'm all good.

So Thanksgiving is in 1 hour and 15 minutes for me (it's 10:45pm as I write this word right now...now...now). Which in this family mostly means that MIL is going to do some actual cooking, and at around 1ish (2ish maybe even) we'll all congregate in the kitchen to get our plates, sit around to eat, and then we'll all shuffle off again into our respective little words. Happy friggen Holidays. =.= And christmas isn't much different. Actually, Christmas in this house is worst. But I'll get to that later in the season.

Did you know Elephants are pregnant for 22 months? See, now you can't tell anyone that you didn't learn anything from reading this. You're welcome.

I was very happy today to find my friend digging around in the backseat of her car for the convertible mittens I made for her. Alright, so the fact that she didn't have them in her glove compartment (why is it called that anyways? No one keeps gloves there anymore...it's always a bunch of papers, or half-eaten cookies, or random bits of map from the middle of Brazil that no one has ever gone to) or even in the front of her car was a bit off putting, but she was actually searching for them so she could wear them. Do you know what that means?! She appreciates my knitting!! She appreciates it and searches for it when her fingers get cold! I am a very happy sponge at the moment.

Speaking of convertible gloves: I'm working on my own design as we speak. Mostly because I need a pair of my own (it's funny that I make stuff for others before I make it for myself), and I didn't like any of the designs that were on Ravelry. Not that they weren't great, I just didn't like them. So I'll be using the mystery alpaca yarn my mom gave me 2 skeins of ( I still think it's 95% Alpaca, 5% forest but she won't believe me) and I'll see what I can come up with.

Oh! random thought: On this British car show that I like to watch, one of the hosts will usually say "How hard can it possible be?" somewhere down the line of that particular days challenge, and generally whatever it is they were doing blows up...or catch on fire...or gets run over by a host...or sinks. So between my mother and I, we've come to the conclusion that saying 'how hard can it be' will subsequently cause a lot of damage. So, why not say "This can't possibly turn out well." Just think about it! If mentioning that it's "not that bad" blows stuff up, saying that it "won't turn out well" should make everything go totally fine. Right? Yeah. Try it and get back to me.

No comments: