Sunday, February 21, 2010

I'm not selfish, just picky

My friend Cierra and I went Swing Dancing on Tuesday. She came over my house so we could car-pool to the ballroom and she spotted my Felted Slippers. "So when am I going to get a pair?" she asked as soon as she put them on her feet, wiggling her toes around and strutting back and forth in my bedroom. "Whenever I get around to it," I replied as I rummaged around for the Odessa hat I had made for her (it was my beaded projects for the ravelympics). When I gave it to her she did a happy little squeal, jammed it over her head and walked around my house petting the hat every few minutes. And that is when I knew that I had found someone (besides my Mom) who would appreciate and actually wear anything knitted that I would present to them.

I have my own little one-time-your-out rule when it comes to knitting. I will knit everyone at least one thing; a hat, a scarf, socks, slippers, something that doesn't take a ton of time or money to make. If I don't see them using it a few times I will not knit for them again. Not because I don't love them, or because I wouldn't enjoy knitting for them, but I don't see the point in spending hours knitting for someone only to see the item sit in some drawer for the rest of forever.

I wouldn't say that I am selfish in my knitting, I'm just picky, very picky.

No comments: