Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Thoughts of a designer

The ground was covered in frost, crunching softly underfoot. Frozen puddles blended in with the walkways, making them hard to see and dangerous. The morning air bit at fingers and noses; breath came out in puffs. The coffee in my cup had been brewed a while ago. The splash of half and half the barista had added wasn't enough to mask the bitter taste of coffee left standing too long. But at eight in the morning it was the best I could do on campus grounds.
Swirls of steam curled out of the cup as I carefully popped off the top. And then, I saw it...

GLOVES! Oh my god I need to make some gloves with swirled designs all over it. Like steam rising off the cuff or something. And then I plopped the top back on and pranced off to class.

And that is pretty much how my brain works most of the time. Especially when I think about designing something new, or when I decide I want to try a pretty new pattern. My mind is kind of all over the place like that.
In other news I'll hopefully publish a new pattern in the next couple of days or so. My testers are taking entirely too long in my opinion, so I might just publish it without waiting for the last three people to finally get it together. I suppose I shouldn't be too miffed since they are doing this for free, but for goodness sake, even with Holidays it should not take someone over a month to knit a pair of mittens or fingerless mitts. Ridiculous...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi from a fellow knitter and aspiring designer! First, I just want to say that I think your knits are beautiful and your patterns are really easy to read. Your Brier Twist mittens were the first I ever made and I get compliments on them all the time. So thanks (:

I had a quick question for you - I recently made my first ever own design/pattern - a pair of mittens with a flap. Since the Brier Twist mittens are the only flap mittens I've ever knitted, I used the same method for flap creation/attachment that you described in Brier Twist. I would like to publish the pattern on my blog, but I wanted to check with you first to make sure it was okay. I would be more than happy to link to your pattern and/or blog in my post and let you give the thumbs up/down to my phrasing of that portion of the pattern before it was published. If not, I totally understand and I can publish the pattern without the flap instructions. Thanks so much.

JellybeanInc said...

Hello,
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to your. I didn't even realize someone had commented on my post.
I'm very glad to know you liked the mittens. By all means, used the flap directions from Brier Twist. I don't mind at all. It would be awesome if you could plug my blog in your post (and I'd return the favor of course) but you don't have to. =)
Good luck with your pattern. =D

Anonymous said...

Ahh thank you so much! I was definitely planning on linking to your pattern/blog in my post. I'll let you know when it goes up. (: Thanks again!